Friday, October 31, 2008

Week 9- Reading Notes

Dewey Meets Turing
Apparently librarians and computer sciences had been preparing to work together on digital libraries before the advent of the internet. After this, hard feelings formed and there were many misunderstandings. There were even claims of misused monies.

Lynch's Institutional Repositories
This brought the plight of professors to my attention. I suppose I felt their efforts to maintain their own websites were their problem and had little to do with professional goals of advancement in their fields.

Mischo's Digital Libraries
I thought it was quite interesting how several different government agencies worked together on digital libraries. While the author praises the progress of availability of full journal articles online, I don't think the move to free, entire articles online has happened fast enough!

1 comment:

Nelida in the World of Information Science said...

I know I'm not supposed to just write a comment that I agree with you, but after reading the article, I have to agree with you when you stated, “that I don't think the move to free, entire articles online has happened fast enough!”