Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 6- Reading Notes

Tyson's How Stuff Works
I think the explanation of NAPs and routers helped me understand the google illustration in which they displayed internet traffic better. I'd not thought of routers being computers themselves before. I suppose I thought they were more of a plug in device. I expected to be more confused while reading this article, but the explanations were pretty good and easily understandable.

Pace's Dismantling Integrated Library Systems
I don't understand why we don't have several viable and useful ILS options by now. It seems that teams of people should be solely dedicated to finding great systems for different types of libraries until real answers are found. I'm not sure that other "industries" would be as passive about it as we are.
I know I'm biased, but I still think libraries should receive price breaks for the inefficient technology they are being offered-- especially since library budgets typically shrink while IT companies' profits typically expand.

Brin and Page's Inside the Google Machine
The demonstrations about google use around the world were pretty interesting. I thought that their lack of affect on Africa was sad and somewhat telling of world affairs. I admit that I rarely think of google's attempts to keep up with their traffic load unless the site is down. It was revealing that only 30% of its traffic is from the United States. Google's 20% rule of doing what you wanted for 20% of your work schedule was so odd! I can't help but wonder how this is calculated exactly. I thought that their dust bar innovation was a wonderful idea, though- and loved its accessibility. Maybe the 20% rule works after all.

1 comment:

Micquel said...

I thought the map of the world showing the use of Google was really cool!!! I'm interested to see the difference in such places as Africa now since the video was taped in 2004...

I also think being able to work on what you want for 20% of your time is a great idea on their part. Not only does it show their employees that they recognize they are great at what they do, but also that they recognize they have more to offer Google than just the specialization for the projects they're assigned... I'm interested to see how many innovations Google has has prospered from because of this 20% idea...